The MSEM Operations Management of Orthotics and Prosthetics (O&P) track at FIU is a transitional master of science degree program offered fully online. The program is designed to offer a tailored degree for anyone interested in O&P research, sales or management of an O&P business as well as anyone who holds a current B.S. in O&P and would like to extend their credentials.
Graduates from this program will have a solid foundation in the principles and application of advanced engineering and technology and be able to apply these principles to formulate and solve O&P problems. Students will gain broad knowledge in modern techniques, methods and tools of clinical practice as applied to O&P. The program will also prepare individuals to excel at modern business practices, marketing strategies, and develop the ethics necessary to enhance your ability to succeed in the O&P business environment. Students will develop the ability to communicate effectively in areas related to problem solving while working independently or on an interdisciplinary team.
All students in the O&P track follow the regular MSEM program of study which requires 30 credit hours of coursework including nine credit hours of engineering management core courses, nine credit hours of business electives, and 12 credit hours of O&P track electives. All classes are offered fully online.
Admission Prerequisites and General Application Checklist
The minimum requirements for admission into the Master of Science in Engineering Management Orthotics and Prosthetics program are:
- Completed Graduate Admission and fee ($30).
- A four-year Bachelors of Applied Science in Orthotics and Prosthetics or closely related field with a minimum of “B” average in the upper-level (the last 60 credit hours). An applicant whose GPA does not meet the minimum GPA requirement may be considered for conditional admission.
- A prerequisite for admission into the program is the successful completion of EGN 3443 (Statistics for Engineering) or equivalent.
- Official transcripts of each previously attended university (undergraduate and graduate) in an envelope sealed by the degree granting institution.
- If an official transcript is not in English, the applicant must obtain two sets of transcripts: one to be submitted to FIU in the original language and the other to be translated by an official translation agency (or certified translator).
- Official proof of degree: a notarized copy of the original diploma is required if the degree is not posted on the official transcripts.
- Official GRE scores is not required.
- Three letters of recommendation from employers, faculty or professional associates.
- Official TOEFL (minimum score 550 paper-based, or 213 computer-based, or 80 internet-based) or IELTS (minimum 6.5). It is a requirement for students who attended/graduated universities in non-English speaking countries. FIU Institutional code is 5206. Register for TOEFL or register for IELTS.
- Statement of purpose: A well-written statement describing your professional goals and reasons for pursuing the master of science in Engineering Management Orthotics and Prosthetics track degree at Florida International University.
- Resume: A current resume is required, which may include education, professional training, internship, and employment history (full-time and part-time employment).
The application for admission into the Master of Science in Engineering Management Orthotics and Prosthetics track and all related documents should be sent to:
FIU Graduate Admissions
Modesto A. Maidique Campus, BT 201
11200 S.W. 8thStreet
Miami, FL 33199
Students will be informed of the final admission decision when the Graduate School and Engineering Management Graduate Admission Committee have reviewed your file.